Thursday, August 30, 2007

But wait! There's more!

Just so you know, the drama last night in the Schneider household didn't end with Mr. Poopy Chops. Ohhhhh, no. It's now officially Hannah's turn.

For the last several days, she's been complaining about one of her back molars that's good and wiggly. She's tried to get Matt to yank it out, but we both have told her that it's just not ready to come out. To make matters worse, her new tooth is coming in and trying desperately to push the old one out of the way, which made her mouth a little sore.

Well, last night, while I was "busy" going on my turdy tirade, she took it upon herself to yank - and I mean YANK - the source of her misery (and impatience!) out. I hear her from downstairs yell, "Mohhhhhhhhm!!!" Because I hear this yell often and it is rarely a real emergency, I chose not to respond. Not because I'm a crappy parent, mind you (well, maybe) but because I have to choose my battles and besides - I had to continue to entertain my 4 1/2 loyal blog readers, right? Maddie finally walks very calmly over to me and says, "Hey, Mom... Hannah wants you." Well, duh. I finish typing my sentence and head downstairs. She's in our bathroom standing above the sink, SPEWING blood and god-knows-what else into the sink. Through her bloody mess she garbles in between gasps and cries, "I PULLED OUT THE WRONG TOOTH!" (But because her mouth is still ookey, it comes out more like, "I pulled ou' da wong toof!" I see that nothing really serious is coming out with all that blood and ask to see the tooth. She's got it sitting on the counter on a bloody tissue. I pick the tooth up and examine it. It DOES kinda look like it may have snapped off, but it didn't. I keep trying to reassure her that she just simply doesn't have the strength to just pull out the wrong tooth. She's not buying it and keeps saying through blood-bubbly lips, "Nooooo, it's the WRONG ONE!!!"

I get the bathroom cleaned up and head into the kitchen to get her a cup to gargle some water with. Maddie has been suspiciously quiet through this whole ordeal. As I get into the kitchen, I see that Hannah had clearly been there first and headed in to decorate my bathroom counter afterwards. There are little droplets of blood all over. Maddie suddenly appears next to me and points to the faucet. "Mommy, the faucet has blood on it" she says to me in a low voice. "I don't think I can use it ever again." I grab the Clorox wipes and am pretty sure that I've convinced Maddie that it's okay, but looking into her very serious, deer-in-headlight looking eyes, I'm not so sure.

Hannah, in the meantime, has settled down and the blood has stopped coming out in full force. She's got a rolled up paper towel hanging out of her mouth like the ginormous doobie in "Revenge of the Nerds" rolled by Booger for the President of the Lambda Lambda Lambda chapter. She takes the paper towel/doobie out of her mouth and points to the molar NEXT to the one she just pulled out. It's hanging by a few threads. THAT, my friends, is the one she intended to pull out, so she did, in fact, pull out the WRONG TOOF!

(*Side note: Let me just clarify that both molars are baby teeth and are supposed to come out at her age. She did not yank out one of her permanent teeth!)

2 comments:

Rae said...

Holy cow your house has been exciting lately!

Ken said...

Good work, Hannah! I think you're meant to become a dentist. Yikes!