At around 7:30pm on Wednesday night, we received a call from our neighbor telling us that our power was back on. Unfortunately, their power didn't come back on until today. Although we live in the same cul-de-sac, we're on separate power grids. Odd...
Yesterday was spent airing out the house, (only a bit musty - not too bad), buying groceries (we dumped everything in the fridge and freezer to prevent Jenny's favorite post-hurricane beverage, meat slushies) and chopping up the big ol' tree in the back. I would say that things overall are about 90% back to normal for us in The Woodlands. Many friends and neighbors still have chunks of trees in their roofs, but everyone is accounted for. That's all that really matters.
Like Matt said, it was pretty darn scary, but I have a newfound respect and appreciation for Mother Nature. It's an amazing spectacle that I hope I never have to go through again, but in a warped way, I'm glad I can say that we experienced a hurricane first hand and most importantly, that we survived one. Matt is my hero and made us all feel safe before, during and after. He pulled out the manly-man card for sure.
Following are more pictures from the storm.
This is a picture of our 'cleaned up' backyard. No more big tree! It was so big and fell so hard that branches were actually buried in the ground upon impact!
The pile in front of our house is two big trees that fell plus several other little trees/branches that were either due to the storm or conveniently trimmed afterwards! (The Woodlands won't let you cut down trees of more than 6" in diameter without permission.)
The trees in this picture fell like toothpicks on one of the houses behind us. Although the owners had left town, the holes in the roof have been patched for now.
This is Lou ready and anxious to head back to The Woodlands yesterday morning.
By the way, yes, Spot lived. (And no, Ken, there aren't any new scratching posts!)
3 comments:
Glad everything is getting back to normal. Lou looks stoned!
G Toos
Glad to hear that the Schneider family's Ike adventure is over now!
Ah, good ol' Spot! Good work getting things cleaned up, Manly-Man Matt.
Post a Comment