
The girls wrapped up their first basketball seasons. Maddie's team was 1-5 and Hannah's was 5-1. Ironically, the one team that Hannah's team lost to was coached by... wait for it... Maddie's coach. He has three daughters - two of which play basketball. Figures. Hannah and Maddie had a great time and plan to play again during the summer session. I'm so proud of them.
Tonight, Hannah's team had a "Kids against Parents" game. Matt is in Mexico still, so I had to suck it up and pretend that I had mad skills. Before I toot my own horn, let me just say that Hannah played harder and had more fun tonight than I've seen so far. She's loved basketball this season, but has been somewhat timid. Tonight? She was aggressive girl. She wouldn't get out of my face. It was GREAT! She even managed to make me fall down. Yep. I was the first (but certainly not the last) to take a tumble. Hannah slammed down pretty hard at the very end of the game and banged up her knee when one of the moms tripped over her. Another one of the moms told her that she should be proud of her battle wound. I think I was even MORE proud. You certainly never want to see your child get hurt, but wow... she worked hard for that one.
So, just to remind everyone, I have never played any sport in my life other than getting picked last or nearly last in gym class. It wasn't that I didn't like sports, they just didn't happen in my family. Anyway, I drove to the YMCA tonight with serious reservations and figured if I volunteered to go in first, I could get it out of the way and punk out for the rest of the game. Well, I ended up playing a good part of the hour-long game (stopping the first time after I fell down and actually saw stars!!). Believe it or not, I scored not once, not twice but 3 WHOLE TIMES. Sure, we were playing against 10 and 11 year olds, but hey - it's the first time I've scored in a game in MY LIFE.
Yay for Hannah.
Yay for me.
3 comments:
My heart is filled with pride for the basketball players. Way to go for all of the Schneider ladies, I'm sure Matt was there in spirit and sad to miss it!
Woohoo! I guess I should have let you played. I liked b ball.
G Toos
Way to go, ladies! All three of you! Nice battle wound, Hannah. What position do you play? I mean, besides Mommie Abuser? And Maddie, just wait 'til this summer--they won't be able to stop you, I'll bet. Are you playing point guard, zipping around the court?
But Nancy, three baskets at the expense of your daughter? Well, well, nothing that years of therapy won't fix. I keed, I keed. But I know how you feel--I was never much into sports growing up, and now being on a bike team and all, people have actually referred to me as an athlete. Unbelievable, but a nice feeling. Way to go.
Uncle Ken
Post a Comment