Hannah and Maddie started basketball this week. Keep in mind that Hannah has never played any sport and Maddie has only had her brief venture into soccer. All inexperiences aside, they both did really well. Hannah's practice was pretty grueling for a 10-year old. She had to do a bunch of suicide drills that made ME out of breath just watching! Lots of rebounds to get and baskets to shoot. She was a trooper and kept up with the more advanced pack. She even got stuck doing 20 pushups for being the last man standing during one of the drills. She was pooped and fell asleep shortly after getting home last night.
Maddie did equally well. While it's no surprise that she's the shortest on the team, she held her own. She didn't have the crazy drills that Hannah did, but she was running around the whole time. She seemed to really like it. I asked her about it on the way home and she told me that she's not interested in playing and wants to play volleyball instead (which doesn't start until April). Uh - too late now!! She loosened up, changed her mind slightly and realized that she would have fun. I think she was intimidated because she wasn't able to make a basket tonight and got a little discouraged.
I'm very proud of both girls. I didn't play any sports and wish that I had. This is a great experience for them.
By the way - a little girl (maybe 4 - yes, 4!) announced to her mom the other night that she had pooped in her pants. "Mommy, I POOPED!" While giggling, she added, "Can you SMELL THAT!?!" After her mom scolded her for being "ugly" (the Southern equivelant to "nasty"!), she did the poopy camel dance to the bathroom to get cleaned up. For those of you not familiar with the camel dance, Jenny or I would be happy to demonstrate the next time we see you. It's a gem.
Friday, February 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am so proud of my H & M. You will have so much fun learning something new, making new friends and most importantly having fun.
xoxo
BBVD
Ah, the camel dance...still do it from time to time. And yes, Kailey does it too now that we are in potty training mode. I couldn't be more proud of my offspring!
Glad to hear the girls are so willing to try new things. Bravo.
Don't really know if I want to see your family dance but knowing that Kailey does it too explains everything!
Post a Comment