Wednesday, September 12, 2007

New Critters: 4 through 6




I'm happy to report that we have some new little "friends" hanging out in our backyard. These guys are pretty darn cool - even if they ARE spiders. They're crablike spiny orb weavers (I can just see Mom and Jenny weaving back and forth as they read that. I'm saying that because I did it too!) Yes, their backs actually look like little faces. We have three that I've seen so far. Two are white, so they look like little skeletons and the third is a reddish orange, so it looks like a jack-o'-lantern. They're small - about the size of my thumbnail with their legs. Again, pretty darn cool. They're good guys - they eat mosquitos and flies and such. They also make the most fantastic webs that Matt has had the pleasure of walking through more than once!

Enjoy!

(By the way - no I didn't take these pictures. I tried, but the camera couldn't get in that close.)

2 comments:

Ken said...

oh, man, that's so cool! when i was down in texas visiting yous guys last fall, one day i went off to hike through some woods. and i found those spiders, twice! those b/w ones, not the punkinhead ones. i, too, tried to get a couple of pictures, but they never focused on the spiders themselves. too cool.

Jenny said...

Ewwwww...don't miss that at all! Weaver...baaaad Nancy!